Fleet Management System
GPS Based Fleet Management System
- Transport & Logistics
- ASP.NET, SilverLight, MSSQL
A leading mobile handsets and accessories distributer required a solution that would improve the performance of their vehicle tracking solutions.
Client Pain Area
The client faced performance issues with the existing vehicle tracking solution. The entire architecture did not support the operational efficiency and performance desired from the application.
They were unable to track the fleet real-time, as the data transmission was delayed.
Monitoring and managing the fleet was not very efficient
Multiple client requests could not be handled with the existing system
The client wanted a solution that could effectively improve the performance of fleet management, and induce operational efficiency. They wanted a system that could handle multiple requests and respond to each of the effectively, in real-time.
The reports for the fleet should be generated, and the logs should be maintained for future reference. The monitoring and management of fleet based on their location, the time that they will take etc. should be made possible with the new solution.
We proposed a WCF Web or Windows Asynchronous Services architecture to eliminate the current performance issues. The code base and designs for the existing application would be used in the proposed solution, while introducing new functionality. The WCF architecture was chosen as it is service oriented architecture, and runs the whole business logic perfectly. It separates the business logic from UI.
Following are some of the advantages of using WCF service
- WCF service can communicate with the different platforms, so it is not dependent on .Net alone; Any third party application can consume that service and use that service methods
- It works on message based communication so it can serve multiple clients once it is deployed on IIS. There is no need of monitoring services
- Provide different channels for communication with different bindings
The solution includes vehicle tracking, asset management as well as alerts management.
Development & Deployment Environment
|Technology & Framework||.Net framework 2.0, .Net nuke, ASP.Net|
|Languages||VB.net, Java Script|
|Database||SQL Server 2005|
|Web Server/Hosting Platform||IIS 5.1|
|Operating System||Windows XP SP 2|
- The application is basically using by truck owners to track their vehicle position
- Application is helpful to provide vehicle related information such as: Current position of the vehicle, Past and Current history of the vehicle, Reports and Alerts of the vehicles
- The performance has improved for the new solution
- This WCF architecture increases efficiency of brain for serving multiple clients in terms of requests and responses of site
- Brain requires parsing of request protocol and building response protocol. Hence parsing & building consumes sometime on each user action which adds in total 0020 response time to user
- As brain has subsequent processes, when any such process is in execution, brain has to wait becoming free for next request in queue
- Data is stored in the form of protocol xml which is again overheads in parsing while retrieving to depict history
- Currently SQL Ser ver Compact Edition used which is good for mobility. But this edition has storage limitation up to 4096 MB (4GB) and don’t have support to Stored Procedures and Views which helps in improving query performance
- Current architecture is not scalable to improve performance by user load balancing. To increase performance, server running .Net remote services has required to being high end as load increases
- Net remote is allowing consuming APIs or Brain call from kind of .NET Application only. Any third party whosoever want to consume such APIs has to use .NET technologies